Navigation must make sense
Hiding important stuff behind code words might cost you business. Navigation titles should be clear and that people use in daily life. Jared Spool beautifully explains this with examples and following DOs and DON’Ts:
- Don’t hide your most valuable assets behind generic links.
- Avoid copying the design of your site’s navigation from other sites, especially those that have nothing to do with yours.
- Don’t create a deep, multi-click navigation multi-click navigation path to get to the things the users want right off.
- Spend time listening to your users and pick out the words they use for what they are looking for on your site.
- Feel free to surface as much of your content as you can in your navigation.
- Think about what drove them to your site in the first place. Have you made it a puzzle to finish their objective?